Wednesday, January 20, 2021

2. The Run - 374 km non-stop

 I live in Estonia. It's not a big country. The idea is to run from one end of the country to the other. This could mean quite a few things. However, some years ago I heard, that our State Forest Management Centre has opened hiking trails that run all through the country. Somehow, when hearing this, I knew that my run would follow these hiking trails, so that makes is simpler. You can see the map of the country and the trails in the picture below.



I will be starting at the north coast, on the beach, roughly where the red balloon is. I will follow the red trail to the big intersection and then continue along the green trail down to the southern border. Touch the sea at the start and the border post at the end. My potential route will not be a 100% along the hiking trail, but for the most part, they will overlap. I've made adjustments to pass through a few familiar locations, to skip some bog roads and to cut some corners. As summer approaches, I'm sure I will be making some further adjustments as I scout out the route. There's a place, for instance, where I would have to get across the river on a barge operated by a hand winch. I'll need to find out if and when this is operational and adjust the route accordingly.

All told, the run will be 374 km, according to the current route. Mostly forest tracks and small, non-paved roads, like the picture in the background of this blog. By myself, no time goal, no competition, just me and the road. The only goal - to get there. One straight run, no stopping. That's the idea. Considering the speed I expect to be averaging (8 km/h), it's going to be 47 hours.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Test Run 4

Primary objective: test in-run nutrition  Secondary objectives: test night-time running after a full day of being awake, test trail running ...