Sunday, January 24, 2021

Diary - Test Run 1

Primary objective: test the speed and rhythm of running

Secondary objective: test various mental approaches, monitor post-run physical condition

Time: January 23, 2021

Duration: 1 hour 37 minutes (ca 4 min for warmup and cooldown walking)

Distance: 12,3 km

Terrain: flat, paved roads covered in snow slush

Weather: dry, 0 degrees C, light wind


Primary results: 

I've had the same steady running rhythm for a long time and it's still there. I can totally defocus my mind from running, the body intuitively picks up a rhythm and keeps to it. The speed line on the smartwatch chart is nice and even. The speed was a steady 8 km/h, just what I had calculated for. All primary objectives achieved.


Secondary results:

I tried stopping all cognitive activity. I tried very active cognitive problem-solving. I tried placing my attention in my physical body, various locations. I tried placing attention outside of the physical body. During this distance, active cognitive problem solving seemed to be the best approach, followed by stopping all mental activity with the attention focused on the soles of the feet hitting the pavement. Will continue experimenting with this.

During the run, I felt a bit of tension in what I think are the adductor muscles, just below the hip and towards the front of the body.

One day after the run, there's some slight soreness in calf muscles, but nothing beyond that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Test Run 4

Primary objective: test in-run nutrition  Secondary objectives: test night-time running after a full day of being awake, test trail running ...