Saturday, February 27, 2021

Starting to check out the route

Went to Võsu today, to check out the starting point of the Run. I'll likely book a stay somewhere there, so I can start early in the morning. Checked out the beach, where I'll start from, and then the roads from there. Because the snow under the forest was still knee deep, there was no running. But the idea is, that if I'll be able to scout a substantial part of the route beforehand, especially the turns, intersections etc, then I won't need a map when running. Or at least will not need to consult it as often.

It was good news all around. Because I will be following the trails of the State Forest Management Centre, I found them to be well marked by colored spots on trees and an occasional sign. The initial part of the map I had created at home also checked out fine i.e. the terrain corresponded to the map. On the photo below is one of the first bigger intersections. It's actually called the "Intersection of Six Roads". Took a bit of map consulting to determine, which road I will need to take from here (the one to the immediate right of the construction).

All things told, it was a succesful scouting trip. Need to do a bunch more of these, with hopefully less ice road driving :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Test Run 4

Primary objective: test in-run nutrition  Secondary objectives: test night-time running after a full day of being awake, test trail running ...